Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] A scratchbuilt Ringworld/Halo Next: Re: [GZG] 15mm Greys

Re: Re: [GZG] A scratchbuilt Ringworld/Halo

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:48:24 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] A scratchbuilt Ringworld/Halo

Well, another take on this is that it doesn't have to be a Niven-esque
ringworld.  It could be like Halo - huge, but repacing a planet in orbit

around the sun, rather than being a ring defining the orbit.  In any
case,
the one that you've built is awesome and should definitely be used in
your
space games!

:)

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Andreas Udby wrote:

> Yeah, well, considering the construction in the novel had a diameter
of 2 AU's and a width of 997,000 miles, doing a proportional one would
have consisted of just making a hoop of 1mm thick wire around a yellow
marble and calling it a day!  I was just aiming for something that
looked cool on the table.  And I know my son can't wait to fly a ship
through the middle of the thing...

> Thanks,
> Andreas
>

>>> Cool, it's a baby Ringworld! (given the supposed scale of the
>>> original, and the supposed scale of FT ships, that is!)
>> Well, considering that we don't put suns and planets in the
>> correct scale on the table either it should be ok:-)
>

> --
>
> Search for businesses by name, location, or phone number.  -Lycos
Yellow Pages

http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default
.asp?SRC=lycos10

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] A scratchbuilt Ringworld/Halo Next: Re: [GZG] 15mm Greys