Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Paper Size - Thanks Next: RE: [GZG] [FT] Graser-1s again

Re: [GZG] [FT] Graser-1s again

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 19:30:47 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Graser-1s again

Hugh Fisher wrote:

>>I don't agree with your point about short range ships being able to
close
>>the range. If the longer range ships only pack on front ark weapons
and
>>the way you play has to two fleets line up and charge at the enemy (We

>>have some players that like to do this) you get a very "fighter pilot"

>>style game. That works until someone designs their escorts with 4 beam
2s
>>in all arc turrets. On a rolling table (unlimited space to play on) 2
>>ships of equal thrust can maintain a range band of 6" quite easily.
The
>>shorter ranges ship then has to rush at the enemy ship that than turns

>>away and then keeps shooting over their shoulder for a number of
turns.
>>If the Grazer ship breaks off or slows down the longer ranged ship can

>>again turn in to close the range to the edge of the envelope.
>
>Doesn't work if you're (standard) ESU or NSL light ships against UNSC.

It doesn't work *indefinitely*, but at least against the standard UNSC
destroyers you don't need very long before you start thresholding them.
Volgas are better at this sort of tactic than Warsaws or Waldburgs
though,
thanks to their all-arc batteries.

>Or if your ships are guarding a space station, asteroid
>mining installation, or navigation warp buoy.
>
>Or if your ships are escorting slower merchants.
>
>Or if your lights are supposed to be watching the flanks
>and rear of a battleship squadron heading towards the
>enemy.

If you are defending a fixed or slow-moving target, you need to go out
and
meet the enemy before he gets to close to whatever you are protecting.
As
Luftwaffe, RAF, USAAF, RN and many others learned this the hard way
during
WW2, escorts that stick too close to their charges usually fail - and
this
is just as true in FT as it was historically.

>Presumably the playtest group and/or keepers of the AARs
>can produce some stats about what percentage of turns in
>FT battles are spent at various range bands?

I can produce stats about what percentage of various weapon types' shots

were fired at enemy ships in what 12-mu range band during the recorded
Cinematic playtest battles, and also what percentage of the turns during

which ships were within range of the longest-ranged weapon on the table
that the respective weapon types actually did fire (the "Shots/turn"
column) - though note that weapons that had been destroyed were no
longer	counted, which means that if a weapon usually is destroyed after

firing a single shot its "Shots/turn" rating will get quite inflated.

Weapon: Range band:		Shots/turn:
		 0-12	 12-24	 24-36
B3-3		37%	37%	25%	0.69
B2-6		37%	63%	-	0.60
B2-3		39%	61%	-	0.46
B1-6*		88%	-	-	0.32
P-torp-3**	66%	21%	13%	0.58
P-torp-1***	31%	46%	23%	0.48

G2-1**	-	25%	75%	0.51
G1-6**	61%	39%	-	0.42
G1-3**	53%	47%	-	0.34
G1-1**	42%	58%	-	0.18

Pulser-L-6*	23%	47%	30%	0.92
Pulser-L-3*	25%	38%	32%	0.58
Pulser-L-1*	17%	40%	37%	0.41
Pulser-M-6*	21%	75%	-	0.60
Pulser-M-3*	34%	62%	-	0.45
Pulser-M-1*	20%	80%	-	0.15
Pulser-C-6*	78%	-	-	0.31
Pulser-C-3*	82%	-	-	0.21
Pulser-C-1*	83%	-	-	0.06

K1-6*		26%	54%	18%	0.77
K2+-1****	31%	45%	23%	0.45

* These weapons are PD-capable. PD shots are counted in the "shots/turn"

column, but NOT in the "0-12" column (which is why these weapons don't
add
up to 100% anti-ship shots).

** These weapons were only used in a small number of playtest battles,
so
their stats are far more uncertain than for the other weapon types.

*** This "Shots/turn" value is inflated by an unfortunate tendency of
NAC
warships to be destroyed after firing a single P-torp shot (thus earning

them single-battle "Shots/turn" ratings of 0.75 or more). In the few
battles where NAC P-torp-armed ships survived long enough to fire more
than
one shot each, they usually only scored around 0.33 shots/turn.

**** This "Shots/turn" value is *not* inflated by early destruction of
the
weapons involved; and the results from individual battles are much more
consistent than for the single-arc P-torps - but the *averaged* results
for
the P-torps and the larger K-guns are remarkably similar, aren't they...

What these stats show is that in the (few) recorded playtest battles
featuring them, even those G1s that survived long enough to fire at all
fired considerably fewer shots per turn than B2 or Pulser-M batteries
with
the same number of fire arcs - and they also fired a much higher
percentage
of their shots at range 0-12 rather than at range 12-24. (What the stats

*don't* show are the number of G1s that were destroyed by longer-ranged
before they got to fire even a single shot.)

It would be very interesting to see corresponding stats from your
battles -
I suspect that you'd get quite a lot more close-range shots even from
the
B2s and longer-ranged weapons.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Paper Size - Thanks Next: RE: [GZG] [FT] Graser-1s again