Prev: [GZG] Speaking Kra'Vak Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Dimensions & Paper

Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Dimensions & Paper

From: Charles Lee <xarcht@y...>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:51:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Dimensions & Paper

head aches thinking of all those strange conversions.

Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu> wrote:

Either Mr. Blair or Mr. Robert Blair wrote on 02/03/2006 09:08:10 AM:

> As someone already of the opinion that anyone who uses
> slot headed screws should be flogged the Robertson
> screw sounds fantastic. I believe I read something
> years ago about a triangular headed screw but now it
> just sounds like a knockoff of the Robertson.

I know that many toys have a triangular head-slot screw that seems to
not
work well if you're trying to remove, as if a 'safety feature'. Has made
conversion-to-adult-gaming-toy difficult on occasion.

> I was taught metric and generally use it but for
> terrain making I use mostly imperial, the standard
> base is 25mm or 1 inch and when doing things like
> windows and doors it is a lot easier to use inches
> because they have halves and quarters already marked
> on the rulers (lovely neat satin finished Fisher
> stainless steel rulers). Mind you I tend to use metric
> for vertical measurements as I started building
> terrain to match that for Necromunda and the floor
> interval there is 70mm. On the whole I use both
> promiscuously, using whichever one is most convenient
> for the immediate job. For larger things that you
> cannot measure in inches then I will use metric almost
> exclusively. It is a bit inconvenient being left
> handed though, the rules go the wrong way.

As others have mentioned, this also goes in the US, mainly due to
Japanese
cars, but I've also pointed out there's plenty leakage from other
sources.
4" <> 10cm (sorry, should be a tilde over an equal sign) comes in VERY
handy here.

And, don't forget, two liter bottles are very common; haven't become two
litre yet, though.

> There used to be an old imperial paper size called an
> Elephant. I do like the A system though, it is very
> clever, if I know that A4 is 297 by 210 mm then I can
> work out al the others as I need them. Does the
> American system work in the same way?

Not really, though there are half sheets that are available.

> To explain for our American cousins the standard
> European and possibly worldwide page size is graded
> from A0 down to A5 or so. A4 is slightly taller and
> narrower than Letter sized paper. A3 is twice as big,
> the short side is the same length as the long side of
> A4 and the long one twice the short side of A4 so if
> you fold it I half you get the A4 size. I just think
> this is terribly, terribly clever, which might be a
> bit sad but I suspect a lot of us on this list think
> in the same way.

I've read the reasons for using A-B-etc system, and if I were into
publishing and paper manufacturing, I'd care a lot, but as I am not, I
don't. ;->=

Now that I've figured out how to adjust margins on printing PDF's, it's
less a problem than it used to be when trying to print things like the
FT
books. Have we thanked Jon lately for that?

The_Beast

Prev: [GZG] Speaking Kra'Vak Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Dimensions & Paper