Prev: Re: Measurement units (was: Re: [GZG] [FT] Cancon 2006 Random Observations) Next: RE: [GZG] [OT] Re: Dimensions & Paper

[GZG] [OT] Re: Dimensions & Paper

From: Michael Robert Blair <pellinoire@y...>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 15:08:10 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: [GZG] [OT] Re: Dimensions & Paper

As someone already of the opinion that anyone who uses
slot headed screws should be flogged the Robertson
screw sounds fantastic. I believe I read something
years ago about a triangular headed screw but now it
just sounds like a knockoff of the Robertson.

I was taught metric and generally use it but for
terrain making I use mostly imperial, the standard
base is 25mm or 1 inch and when doing things like
windows and doors it is a lot easier to use inches
because they have halves and quarters already marked
on the rulers (lovely neat satin finished Fisher
stainless steel rulers). Mind you I tend to use metric
for vertical measurements as I started building
terrain to match that for Necromunda and the floor
interval there is 70mm. On the whole I use both
promiscuously, using whichever one is most convenient
for the immediate job. For larger things that you
cannot measure in inches then I will use metric almost
exclusively. It is a bit inconvenient being left
handed though, the rules go the wrong way.

There used to be an old imperial paper size called an
Elephant. I do like the A system though, it is very
clever, if I know that A4 is 297 by 210 mm then I can
work out al the others as I need them. Does the
American system work in the same way?

To explain for our American cousins the standard
European and possibly worldwide page size is graded
from A0 down to A5 or so. A4 is slightly taller and
narrower than Letter sized paper. A3 is twice as big,
the short side is the same length as the long side of
A4 and the long one twice the short side of A4 so if
you fold it I half you get the A4 size. I just think
this is terribly, terribly clever, which might be a
bit sad but I suspect a lot of us on this list think
in the same way.

Michael

It is by my order and for the good of the state that the bearer of this
has done what he has done.
  - Richelieu