Prev: Re: [GZG] [ECC] [FMASheep] Next: Re: [GZG] [ECC] [FMASheep]

Measurement units (was: Re: [GZG] [FT] Cancon 2006 Random Observations)

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 16:17:36 +0000
Subject: Measurement units (was: Re: [GZG] [FT] Cancon 2006 Random Observations)

>  > (As an aside, for fix-it projects I don't mind too much
>>  that Americans don't use the metric system.
>
>Too bad we don't have 10 inches to the foot. But in any
>event, FT wasn't written in the US ....     :-)

For the record.....

When I was at school, back in the days of the steam-driven pornograph
machine, we were taught (and used) both imperial and metric. Nowadays
I think that schools over here exclusively teach metric, though
imperial is still in common use in many areas of everyday life; we
have a really odd mix - we still use miles for road distances, but
metric for all shop weights and measures - except for milk and beer,
which still comes in pints (like elephants). Go figure. ;-)

I still like the inch as a measurement unit for tabletop gaming,
which is why I (and a lot of other UK rules writers) still use it. It
is large enough to not be fiddly, relatively simple to eyeball, and
suits miniature sizes well. YMMV of course.
Plus, obviously, I had the US market at least partly in mind when I
published the games.

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: [GZG] [ECC] [FMASheep] Next: Re: [GZG] [ECC] [FMASheep]