Prev: RE: [GZG] Missile Magazines??? Next: Re: [GZG] Full Sail and Morale

Re: [GZG] Cruisers ... in the FT world [and] John's Shipbuilding/Campaign Rules-VC

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@s...>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:27:19 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] Cruisers ... in the FT world [and] John's Shipbuilding/Campaign Rules-VC

Doug Evans wrote:

>On the other, other hand...

That's the gripping hand, see the sequel to "The Mote in God's Eye" for
particulars.

>On one side,  you can have tactical versus operational or interstellar
>warp, the former being a sort of stutter warp? Also, if I recall
correctly,
>David Gerrold's voyages of the Star Wolf(?) had a back ground where the
>larger the hull, the larger the warp bubble, though it was used for
>sensing, still in the If-I-recall-correctly mode.
>
>However, it could as easily be for warp TRAVEL as well.

You are correct. It was the Star Wolf series and he did use the size of
the bubble as a factor in top speed. Bigger ships could see farther and
move faster. The biggest ship in space was truly feared, by the time you

saw it it was on its attack run already. I did get the sense that the
cost of the bigger ships went up exponentially, although Gerrold never
actually said so. Huge ships are rare and powerful, the more common
"clipper ships" were never hinted at being small or outclassed amongst
their weight class.

These are excellent books btw, most (if not all) of the people on this
list would greatly enjoy them.

--
We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade
and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are

http://vesuvius.jsc.nasa.gov/er/seh/ricetalk.htm

Prev: RE: [GZG] Missile Magazines??? Next: Re: [GZG] Full Sail and Morale