Prev: Re: [GZG] Ship point values and effectiveness Next: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

From: Brian B <brianbinor@g...>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:22:57 -0800
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

On 1/17/06, Ian Downing <iandowning112@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> But how would morale rules cope with situations such as the Glowworm v
> Hipper, Jervis Bay v Scheer, Rawalpindi V Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.
The RN
> ships had no chance of winning, only the Glowworm got some return on
her
> sacrifice by damaging the Hipper so she required several months
dockyard
> repairs. So how would you model this in FT?

When I was a lad, I tried my hand briefly at ASL.  It wasn't my bag,
mostly because it was too complicated for any of my friends to bother
trying to play with me.  But one of the rules that always struck me as
interesting was the Berserk rule, where troops under fire, when
rolling for their morale, and failing miserably, would, on a 2d6 roll
of 2, would go berserk instead of breaking.

The reason I mention it is this:  in certain cases, depending on the
situation and enemy, a crew whose morale is completely crushed, if
they feel they have no hope of survival or humane treatment in
surrender, may decide that since they're going to die anyway, they
might as well die gloriously.  The old adage about wounded animals.

In the game, if you decide to House Rules morale, you may want to
consider some sort of random table or card set-up to allow for all
sorts of possibilities, including surrender, scuttling, self-destruct,
fleeing, and fighting to the death.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Ship point values and effectiveness Next: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding