Prev: Re: R: [GZG] [semi-OT] Judge Dread fans Next: Re: [GZG] Cruisers and Destroyers in the FT world

Re: [GZG] Cruisers and Destroyers in the FT world

From: Tony Christney <tchristney@t...>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:06:11 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] Cruisers and Destroyers in the FT world

For a displacement hull, the maximum speed is roughly proportional to
the
square root of the waterline length. However, structural factors also
come into play. An extremely long hull would be very difficult to make
stiff
enough to survive heavy seas. Also, to achieve the maximum speed you
still need to provide enough power to push the damn thing through the
sea.

Tony C.