Prev: Re: [GZG] class 1 EMP Next: [GZG] EMP effect on fighters?

Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:22:29 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

Tom Barclay wrote:

...an excellent post to which I agree 100%. The main purpose with this
reply is to emphasise that the FT points system - at least in its later
iterations - is intended precisely as a *tactical* points system, with
no
attempts to "campaignize" it.

***
Scattered comments to John's post:

Yes, for the cost of one SDN you can buy oodles of tiny missile boats.
In
such a match-up, the purpose of the points system is to reasonably
accurately predict how many such missile boats you need to get a 50%
chance
of them defeating the SDN.

***
The SDN-vs-missile boat example is off by a factor three:

 >That would cut 12 points off the cost of that ship, and for the cost
of a
dreadnought (now 1204
 >points) I could buy 100 of the little buggers.

No, you couldn't: the missile boat in question originally cost 48 pts,
so
if you reduce that cost by 12 pts it still costs 36 pts. That gives you
mere 33 missile boats against the 1204-pt SDN, not the 100 John expected
-
and 33 missile boats are by no means impossible odds for a well-handled
SDN.

***
As Allan noted, the wet-navy torpedoes turned out to be somewhat less of
one-shot killer than expected due to rapid implementation of
anti-torpedo
measures.. just like Full Thrust's Salvo Missiles, really: when FB1 was
published there was a wave of panic over the fact that an SM salvo can
inflict up to 36 pts if it rolls really well, but players very quickly
figured out effective defences against it.

***
Finally, I'm not sure about Norway, but Sweden certainly uses
truck-mounted
RBS15 SSMs for coastal defence.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] class 1 EMP Next: [GZG] EMP effect on fighters?