Prev: Re: [GZG] Little Big horn was: Points systems Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems

Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:49:21 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems

On 1/11/06, B Lin <lin@rxkinetix.com> wrote:
> You don't have to fire at random targets.  You need to make
intelligent
> decisions regarding your opponent - if you think he has piled a
majority

OK, maybe you play among telepaths, or good buddies that you have
achieved near-telepathy with.

For the rest of us, we have to have something to base decisions on.
Some data.  Taking all the targeting data and making it secret removes
the basis of those decisions.

> Like in all military matters you are trying to achieve your goal with
> maximum concentration of firepower with as little loss to yourself.
VP
> merely changes what that goal might be.

Which I don't have a problem with.  What I have the problem with is
hiding the goal.

Since you obviously neither know nor care what the military decision
making process it, let me introduce you to the acronym used as a
mnemonic for the factors governing the execution of any military plan.

METT-T.  Some people hang a C onto the end of that.

Mission
Equipment
Troops
Terrain
Time Availible
C is civillians.

Notice the first one is Mission.  You propose only revealing the
mission at the END of the game.

Again, with TLPs, the Army's Troop Leading Proceedures, there is an
8-step process.  The first one is: Recieve the Mission.  If you move
that to the end of the TLPs, (after 'supervise the execution of the
mission') you have removed the entire basis of the planning.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Little Big horn was: Points systems Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems