Prev: Re: [GZG] Unsubbing for Very Good Reasons Next: RE: [GZG] Re: Points systems

RE: [GZG] Re: Points systems

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:29:29 -0700
Subject: RE: [GZG] Re: Points systems

You don't have to fire at random targets.  You need to make intelligent
decisions regarding your opponent - if you think he has piled a majority
of VP into a few ships, then you can achieve your goal with a few select
shots.	If you think he has dispersed his VP evenly across his ships
then you need to determine which are the easiest to kill. The goal of
killing a sufficient number of VP it doesn't say that you have to
randomly shoot at targets hoping for an instant win (and I would worry
about commanders who thought that way in the first place) but it changes
the priority of your firing - you'd still win if you eliminated the
opposing fleet, but there may be a chance to win sooner by killing key
ships.	This means that players will have to pay more attention to what
their opponents are doing and try to deduce why they are doing it.

Like in all military matters you are trying to achieve your goal with
maximum concentration of firepower with as little loss to yourself.  VP
merely changes what that goal might be.

If your opponent is truly using a random system, is it worth your while
to play against them?  It would be like playing against someone who
picks a few random ships and assembles them into a fleet.  I don't think
most people enjoy that, and would prefer to play against someone who has
taken to time to plan a strategy and form a fleet to support that
strategy.

As usual you've taken the extreme cases and points and presented them as
what will happen every time, which is definitely not the case.

I don't see people arguing that the 6 re-roll rule has ruined FT because
a measly DE could potentially wipe out a dreadnaught or that players who
make mega-ships or field giant flocks of fighters or missiles have
broken the system.  People have adapted by making house rules to suit
their play style and the addition of VP is simply another tool they
might use to help them create balanced scenarios.

--Binhan