Prev: [GZG] [OT] Need some references Next: [GZG] [OT] USAF training tape

Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 16:53:10 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems

On 1/9/06, Hugh Fisher <laranzu@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> So for a 5 point destroyer battle, the expected is 5
> destroyers. But you could replace 1 destroyer by 2
> frigates, or 2 destroyers by a light cruiser, or 4 by
> a heavy cruiser. Very quick and simple, no calculators
> required.

It would take some good dice rolling to take 5 Warsaw-class destroyers
and go head-to-head with 5:

Milvian Bridge class Destroyer Leader (DDL)
Displacement: 4400 tonnes (Mass factor 44)
Hull Type: Average (Hull Integrity 13)
Crew: 8 officer, 34 ratings (Crew Factor 3)
Armament: 4xClass 2 Batteries, 1xClass 1 Batteries
Sensors: Standard sensors, 1xFire Control
Defenses: 2xPDS, Armor rating 2
Drive Systems: Main Drive rating 6, FTL Drive
Point cost: 145

That is the point of point systems.  Even if I took only one of these
and the rest were Cimbalongus (Mass 34 NPV 112) they would have a
significant advantage over 5 Warsaws.

It's worse if you take capital ships of differing capabilities.  A
Tombazis (Mass 106, Point 353) vs. a Manchuria is not a fair fight
either.  Or my 8-pulse-torp Nafkratousa-class dreadnought vs. a Rostov
(which tries to be all things to all men and ends up with a throw
weight that I wouldn't feel comfortable with on a heavy cruiser)

If all designs were balanced so that all ship classes were equal in
capabilities that would be one thing.  But they aren't, they reflect
differing design philosophies.	ESU goes for cheap, small ships, FSE
for big expensive ones (and so do I--quality counts!).	NAC and NSL
inbetween.  At least based on what the FB portrays.  There are also
sub-optimal ways to design the ships.  For instance, the idea of
putting a single fighter bay onto a ship intended to go exchange beam
fire with the enemy.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: [GZG] [OT] Need some references Next: [GZG] [OT] USAF training tape