Prev: Re: [GZG] Installing Shiptool on a Mac. Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

Re: [GZG] Re: Jon's question on rotate/thrust/rotate

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 21:03:47 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Jon's question on rotate/thrust/rotate

David Billinghurst wrote:

>The problem in Human/alien fights is not the rotating thing, but how
the
>opposing drive systems handle rapid changes in direction.

But it isn't really a "human vs alien" problem. It is a problem with the

balance between weapon fire arcs and engine power; it only becomes a
"human/alien" problem if you use the "official" Fleet Book fleets
because
the FB2 Kra'Vak are so heavily geared towards narrow fire arcs and
powerful
engines while just about all of the other Fleet Book fleets use weaker
engines and wider fire arcs.

The rotating thing is what determines how easy it is to keep the enemy
in
your preferred fire arc, and as such it is *hugely* important for the
balance between weapon arcs and engine power. If a single thrust point
can
only rotate your ship a little bit (eg. in Cinematic as long as the
ships
keep moving, or EFSB Vector), it is valuable to have powerful engines or

wide fire arcs because both of those options increase your ability to
keep
the enemy in your fire arcs. If OTOH a single thrust point is sufficient
turn the ship to any direction (Cinematic if the ship has speed zero,
FB1/FB2 Vector), then a single-arc weapon becomes very nearly as
effective
as the much more expensive all-arc version of the same weapon and
powerful
engines are only marginally more useful than weak ones.

Note that this is true in both Cinematic and Vector. For example, the
main
advantage of Advanced engines in Cinematic is not that they allow the
ships
to change direction of *movement* easily, but that they allow the ships
easily change the direction their *weapons* are pointing. It is also the

reason why the "sit-and-spin" manoeuver (where the ship comes to a full
stop so it can rotate to any facing for a single thrust point) is so
common
in Cinematic gaming groups. Of course, in Cinematic the ship's facing
happens to be identical to its direction of movement which makes it
harder
to tell these two different effects apart - but that doesn't change the
fact that we are looking at two different effects.

This - the weapon arc vs engine power balance in Vector - is the main
issue
the limited-rotation Vector proposal is intended to solve.

The ability to change speed and direction of movement is also somewhat
important since it determines the ship's ability to control/influence
the
range to its targets - but a low-thrust ship  can carry enough
long-range
weapons that they don't need to worry very much about controlling the
range
- if the enemy wants to fight, he'll pretty much have to get into the
low-thrust/long-range ship's weapon range anyway. As long as the
low-thrust
ship can keep its weapons pointing towards its faster opponent, it'll
most
likely outgun him regardless of the range. (Yes, of course there are
exceptions to this - thrust-8 ships with B5s or larger beams, for
example -
but they aren't very common.)

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] Installing Shiptool on a Mac. Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....