Prev: [GZG] [OT] I'm back Next: RE: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

From: wscottfield@c...
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 23:24:35 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

Indy wrote:

>> What I dislike is the turn-burn-turn maneuver which allows you to
always
>> wind up facing the direction you want; it makes targetting too
>> predictable.  I normally use a houserule of only one rotation per
turn,
>> which seems to fix this.
>> [...]
>>  What's the fun of space combat if you can't maneuver?
>
> Now, doesn't this contradict your earlier statement?	;-)

Oh, you want consistency too?  ;->

To me maneuver means not only being able to move around the battlefield,
but also means doing so in a way that has an effect on combat, thus
forcing the players to make tactical choices.

The current vector system (which I like in theory) in some ways has the
worst of both worlds: ships are not very maneuverable (compared to
weapon ranges and arcs) but it’s still extremely easy to keep your
opponent in your front arc.  Which may be quite realistic, depending on
the PSB you’re using, but makes for uninteresting slugfests in my
experience.

Oerjan wrote:

> HOWEVER, game-wise I'm even more fond of the variant of 3) where 1
thrust
> point allows rotation by up to 2 course points and a *Main Drive* burn

> accellerates the ship *2* mu straight ahead instead of just 1 mu. This

> variant retains the fire-arc/drive rating balance of the "plain 3)",
but it
> also makes it easier for ships to change course rather than just
change facing.

I like this idea too, but wouldn’t it be easier to just double the
amount of Thrust points ships have in vector?  Either way, seems like it
could go a long way towards solving both problems I mentioned above;
ships are more maneuverable, but facing isn’t free so they still have to
choose between “Do I maneuver for position or for firing angle this
turn?”

Scott

Prev: [GZG] [OT] I'm back Next: RE: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....