Prev: [GZG] Re: [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: [GZG] [25mm] Pig Iron Miniatures

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

From: Tony Christney <tchristney@t...>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 13:19:55 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

On 4-Jan-06, at 11:20 AM, Oerjan Ariander wrote:
>> 4) Modified FB1/FB2 standard - 1 thrust point rotates to any heading,

>> BUT only ONE rotation maneuver allowed per turn... in other words you

>> can rotate for maneuver purposes and then thrust, OR thrust and then
>> rotate to fire, but NOT rotate/thrust/rotate.....
>
> b) I haven't played this but dislike it in theory.
>
> This has very nearly the same effect as using MD2 drives already has
> in FB1/FB2 Vector: with MD2 you only have 1 thrust point to spend on
> manoeuvres, so can't make more than 1 rotation per turn. When flying
> ships like this most players I've played against choose to maximize
> their opportunities to shoot - which means that they'll use their
> single rotation per turn to keep the enemy in arc, essentially
> forfeiting their ability to manoeuvre except for Main Drive burns in
> the direction they happen to face either before or after the rotation.
>
> Basically, with this concept the differences between different MD
> ratings become even smaller than they are in FB1/FB2 - MD2 ships are
> still just as able to keep the enemy in arc as MD6A ones are, but now
> the MD6 ship doesn't even have any noticable advantage in course
> changing ability.

Except that you are adding a magnitude 5 vector instead of a magnitude
1 vector to
your course vector. IMO, this is a noticeable advantage. It also gives
drives an advantage because they don't have to "waste" their rotation
to point
their main drives in order to change course. For human ships, it makes
multi-arc
weapons useful as it allows you to shoot at the enemy when your primary
objective is
manoeuvre.

OTOH, I do agree that MD2 drives are basically useless in vector,
although I would
extend that to all of the proposals other than 3), where they are only
"mostly"
useless.

Cheers,
Tony C.

Prev: [GZG] Re: [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: [GZG] [25mm] Pig Iron Miniatures