Prev: Re: [GZG] Fleetbook design files for Shiptool. Next: More Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 08:03:33 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

> 1) The system as it currently stands (FT/FB1/FB2 standard): ie, 1
> thrust point will rotate any ship to any heading in vector movement.

> d) I've actually played this (with XXXX fleet(s) - please specify)
> and dislike it.

I have played this with KV, NSL, IF, NI, ORC, UN, FSE, NAC, ESU, and
others. It has problems:
a) unless you're in close range, it's easy to put your target in F
arc--so if you want to win in vector, you might as well throw out most
of the FB designs. This means that you have some barriers to just
putting some lead on the table and playing--you have to design your
own ships (which I like, but not everyone does), and make your own
SSDs (which is a pain).
b) The "homebrew fleets" thing also means that we're no longer sharing
the same degree of community experience, which I think is important to
keeping people active. If I say that I took three Jerez against two
Maria von B, any FT player will know what I'm talking about. If I go
to a con and find I'm facing KV, I have a pretty good idea what to do,
without a long explanation.
c) it makes some cheesy maneuvers possible.  Let's say you have a MD4
ship pursuing a MD6 ship in direction 12. Your opponent can start out
facing you, Rotate to 12, Thrust by 4, then Rotate to 6. He spends 5/6
of his turn facing away from you, but still gets the benefit of
shooting at you with his F arc.

 > 2) The system used in the EFSB (the Babylon Project FT variant),
> where 1 thrust point only allows rotation by 1 course point (30
> degrees).

> b) I haven't played this but dislike it in theory.

> 3) 1 thrust point allows rotation by up to 2 course points (60
degrees).
> c) I've actually played this (with XXXX fleet(s) - please specify)
and like it.

With ORC, UN, IF, NSL.	Not as much playing time as I'd like, but it
seems to me to be a better balance of maneuverability..

Prev: Re: [GZG] Fleetbook design files for Shiptool. Next: More Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....