Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] IAVRs Next: Re: [GZG] Rot Hafen

Re: [GZG] [SG] IAVRs

From: Adrian <adrian@s...>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 01:20:28 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG] IAVRs

>I don't know about Adrian's game, but I ran an ambush scenario at
>GenCon with those limits. In 15mm scale, too!

If you're interested, there is a photo-essay version of something very
similar to the convoy scenario I ran at ECC up on stargrunt.ca, at
http://www.stargrunt.ca/gallery_modeling/sg2_gal_convoy/sg2_gal_convoy_m
ain.htm

this has a TO&E summary for both forces involved.  It isn't quite the
same
as the one Laserlight played in, but is similar enough to get a feel for

what was going on.

>It's an example of both a fun ambush scenario and why ambush scenarios
>are very hard to balance. Basically, if the ambusher tries for a
>marginal victory only he usually wins. If the ambusher tries for the
>decisive victory, he usually loses. But in all playings of the game
>the result was pretty close.

Yep.  I've run versions of my ambush scenario a few times now, and see
almost the same results.

Easy for the ambushers to score a bit of damage, but if they try to slug
it
out, they lose.

>I allowed wrecks to be used as cover in my ambush game, provided the
>wreck was disabled and not destroyed. I probably need to specify house
>rules for going near a wrecked vehicle.

I allow wrecks to be used as cover, unless they're destroyed (in which
case
they turn into a crater - maybe not so realistic militarily, but more
fun
and satisfying for the players).

>If a vehicle is fired on but it isn't penetrated, doesn't the vehicle
>receive a suppression marker? And doesn't the rules explicitly state
>that the suppression marker prevents troops inside the vehicle from
>escaping?

I don't have my SG rulebook handy, but that sounds right.  I think the
suppression isn't on the vehicle, per se, but on the side of the vehicle

taking fire.  So, if you suppress the back doors on an APC and there is
no
other troop exit, the troops inside can't deploy without removing the
suppression.

If you were to suppress the front of the APC, the troops inside could
deploy out the back without restriction.

I think that's how it works, anyway...

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] IAVRs Next: Re: [GZG] Rot Hafen