Prev: [GZG] 25mm stowage in online catalog? Next: Re: [GZG] OT: 25 MM Vehicle Size Comparisons

Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:13:58 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

Laserlight wrote:

>All tanks are armored, but many armored vehicles are not
>tanks.  AFAIK, "motorized" means "wheeled vehicles"; if you
>want to refer to tracked vehicles, you'd say "mechanized".

"Mechanized" refers to units *transported* in or on tracked vehicles -
usually infantry, but I've seen one or two references to "mechanized
artillery" referring to tracked SP guns. However, tanks are not
"mechanized" - they're "armour" :-/

>Also AFAIK, a tank by definition is tracked, not wheeled,

AFAIK there is no such definition (which is fortunate for us SF fans,
since
otherwise our beloved "hover tanks" and "grav tanks" would also be
oxymorons!). A "tank" can be any land-mobile vehicle with
decent-to-heavy
armour ("light tanks" can ignore the armour requirement though), good
terrain mobility and a decent all-purpose gun (although "infantry tanks"

can make do with machineguns). There's no formal requirement that it be
tracked. It's just that so far all vehicles that have met the "good
terrain
mobility" requirement have been tracked :-/

>I was wondering if all the source docs are English,

No, they're American...

>or if "motorized tank" might have been a translation error.

Nope. Straight from the horse's mouth, as it were :-/

/Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: [GZG] 25mm stowage in online catalog? Next: Re: [GZG] OT: 25 MM Vehicle Size Comparisons