Prev: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: [OT] Falklands re [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 19:44:04 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

On 11/25/05, Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@telia.com> wrote:

> Judging from the reports published in Armor and various comments made
by
> tankers around the 'net, the "motorized tank platoons" don't usually
have
> both tanks *and* M1114s; instead they  seem to have *replaced* their
tanks
> with M1114s - which means that they're not "light or heavy as the
situation
> requires it", but light only. Considering that the convoy that so
> completely failed to reach the Rangers in Mogadishu consisted of
HumVees,
> this "light only" concept seems a bit... risky.

Depends on the unit, of course.  I've trained with Dual-purpose
tank/motorized platoons in our Mission Readiness Exercise.  I presume
that means at least some of our tankers are also taking their tanks to
Iraq.  Not all of them, but some.  More than that I can't really say.
Each unit is doing this a bit differently, since we are kind of making
up the doctrine as we go along.  When 4th ID went, our tankers were
tankers, and didn't much pretend to be otherwise.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: [OT] Falklands re [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault