Prev: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: Re: [GZG] Not So Small thought re: Orbital Assault

Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 07:25:34 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

John Atkinson wrote on 11/25/2005 04:54:41 AM:

> On 11/25/05, R Campbell-Jones <rcj@dircon.co.uk> wrote:
> > Ref the various (and ongoing) discussions on orbital assaults.
> >
> > In case any of you haven't yet (unlikely, but...) I
> suggest you read almost
> > anything by David Webber. His "Stars at War" series
> covers several different
> > such scenarios, but his other stories also feature them.
>
> Not very many planetary assaults.  He doesn't go for such things,
> being primarily interested in vacuum engagements where he can write
> about ever-increasing numbers of nuclear missles.

But I like ever-increasing numbers of nuclear missles! I'm a vacc-head!
;->=

What you've said is pretty much true, though Crusade gave one a bit.
'We've
the keys to the backdoor' finale is a bit deus ex machina. *shrug*

I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on the guerilla campaigns, but
probably not for this list.

I haven't been able to get into Insurrection.

The other point to remember is this is all stuff based on Starfire.
There's
plenty of older version support items available in cutout bins if you
want
to mess with the campaign side. Not actual gropos, always promised at
some
point, but I think some guidelines for interface.

I'm going to dig out Gorm-Khanate suppliment to see what it has.

> > If you are interested in his stuff, buy the latest in
> the Honor Harrington
> > series, "At all Costs", in hardback; it comes with a CD
> including almost all
> > DW's back catalogue in electronic form.
>
> At All Costs put me to sleep.

I'm not a big HH fan myself, heresy to say on this list, and if it's
less
than prime HH, At All Costs is probably a miss for me, but the point
here
was the CD. The CD's in the past have been good ways to sample bits, dig
out sections if you want to reference in a game, and often interesting
artwork.

Baen claims it's a hideous complex plan to lure you into buying the
books
in print form; I agree that trying to read 40(?) novels on screen is not
my
idea of heaven.

Sadly for the plan, it's not worked in my case, and I've usually gotten
the
books with CD's in remainder sales.

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: Re: [GZG] Not So Small thought re: Orbital Assault