Prev: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: Re: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

Re: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:39:23 +0100
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

On 11/23/05, Roger Books <roger.books@gmail.com> wrote:
> Much of this depends on weapons doesn't it?  I can't count the number
of
> military sci-fi stories where air power has been written out of the
> equation.  Hammers Slammers and the Bolo books come to mind.	One big
> planetary defense weapon in a city could make Ortillery useless.

If your universe runs to such things, invasion of a defended planet is
impossible anyway.

> As for your low-tech high-tech comparison the combat technology in the
GZG
> universe hasn't progressed all that much.  I can see the tech edge
being

Technology in the GZGverse as depicted in the current incarnation of
DSII is mid-1970s or earlier.

> insignificant.  OTH the training edge is going to be huge.  I don't
know
> about you but I would place my money on a modern special forces unit
with
> WWII weaponry over militia with the latest and greatest.

Depends on what you are trying to do.

For one-on-one, true.

For armored division vs. armored division, basic trainees in Abrams
vs. the elite in Shermans is going to be a different story.

And the advantage of modern forces isn't merely the weapons, it is the
C4ISR capabilities.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: Re: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault