Prev: Re: [GZG] BITS (was sci-fi egyptians?) Next: Re: [GZG] BITS (was sci-fi egyptians?)

Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:23:31 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

On 11/23/05, john tailby <John_Tailby@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> In the Falklands battles in the 80s between England and Argentinia.
The
> invading troops were transported by cruise liners, because Brtian did
not
> have the troop transport capacity.

As a result, they had to drop off on a worthless part of that rock and
walk to the object.  Because of the difficulty of logistical support,
there was practically no armored support availible.

Given the UK's ability to project force, that war is not a bad
metaphor for a possible planetary invasion scenario.

> If the invaders are air moble, as is likely they can bounce around the
> planet doing hit and run raids wearing the defenders down and if the
> defenders mass to repel the invaders they are inviting orbital
bombardment.

I'd think they'd have to be at least partially air mobile, given that
they had to get from orbit to dirtside somehow.  :)

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] BITS (was sci-fi egyptians?) Next: Re: [GZG] BITS (was sci-fi egyptians?)