Prev: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: Re: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

[GZG] New Ideas for theming your own ships

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 20:31:44 +1300
Subject: [GZG] New Ideas for theming your own ships

For our next campaign we are looking at allowing people to create their
own
technology sets. We have found that if you allow people access to the
"human" technology they get a huge tech base compared to the other races

that have a very narrow base.

So here is what we are thinink of letting people do.

Each player gets 12 slots to fill with weapons and equipment.

Basic packages
Everyone gets
4 row hull
Firecontrol
FTL
Normal Drive
Standard sensors
Armour

If Organic technology the player also gets generators.

  To upgrade drives to advanced costs people 4 slots

  For weapons and other equipment
  If the weapon comes in classes purchasing the technology gives the
player
access to all the weapon classes.
  Weapons that use the torpedo to hit mechanism also come in the option
of
extended range (range bands +50%) for double mass or short range (Range
bands reduced by 33% and mass halved)

  Weapons that cost 3 points per mass cost 1 slot.
  Weapons that cost 4 points per mass use up 2 slots
  Weapons that cost 5 points per mass use up 3 slots.

  Other exceptions
  Plasma bolts use up 2 slots
  Stealth fields or hulls take up 2 slots only.

  Other technology ideas
  Advanced FTL
  Level 1 cost +1 per mass of FTL drive
  Scatters only D3 and is only affected by other objects if within 3"
  Level 2 Cost +2 per mass of FTL drive
  Does not scatter
  Unaffected by presence of other objects.

  So if people want to take the hugely popular advanced drives they have
give up most of their technology slots and so end up with a very limited

selection of weapons.

  One other thing if you want to use emp or needle warheads on MT
missiles
you need to have access to that technology.

  Each Fighter type should cost 1 slot and each modification, (heavy,
fast,
long range or missiles costs one slot)

  has anyone done anything simialr to this and if so how did it go.

  Thanks

  John

Prev: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: Re: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault