Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Probability formula needed Next: [GZG] [CON] GZG ECC IX - Preregistrations begin Dec. 1st

RE: [GZG] [OT] Probability formula needed

From: <Tom.McCarthy@x...>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:16:21 -0500
Subject: RE: [GZG] [OT] Probability formula needed

I'm pretty rusty.  Let's see.

Assuming the 7 objects are unique, I think the odds of getting all right
are 1 in 7 factorial ("7 Permutations 7").

You can't get 6 right without 7, of course.

To get 5 right, multiply 1 in 7 factorial by the number of ways you can
pick 2 of the 7 ("7 choose 2" or 7 factorial divided by (7-2) factorial
times 2 factorial).

To get 4 right, multiply 1 in 7 factorial by the number of ways you can
pick 3 of the 7 ("7 choose 3") then by the number of ways you can juggle
3 items in three slots with none correct (Gut says 2, but I'm not sure
of the underlying math for larger numbers.  For 4, I think it's 9.)