Prev: Re: [GZG] Federation Commander is out, and it's gunning for FT. Next: RE: [GZG] Federation Commander is out, and it's gunning for FT.

Re: [GZG] Federation Commander is out, and it's gunning for FT.

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:36:22 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] Federation Commander is out, and it's gunning for FT.

Dean wrote on 11/11/2005 09:49:56 AM:

> >> For those as lazy as moi:
> >> http://www.star-ranger.com/Home.htm
> >> http://www.star-ranger.com/FedCom.htm
> >>
> >> Well, not exactly gunning for FT, more a nod at, but
> I'd like a look the
> >> game.
> >> $60 startup?!?!? *cough* *choke* *gurgle*
>
> Well, they say the box is full, there is no air space and
> if you shake it,
> nothing moves.  They could have gone the classic SFB way
> with black and white
> printing and no lamination but they are also targeting the RPG and
> German Games
> market who expect high quality components and are currently buying
> games just as
> expensive or hardcover rulebooks for $50.

Now, Dean, you cut my quote prematurely:

> >>$60 startup?!?!? *cough* *choke* *gurgle*

> >>*sigh* Ok, lamination is good...

I recognized the 'quality' issue, though there are highend games WITH
plastic pieces for about the same. On the other, other hand, those
mostly
assume high volume, which I know ADB can't. And those others are often
wrong. ;->=

> > Dunno. I'll reserve full judgement until I see it out.
> But the SSDs scream
> > "SFB!" to me. And while it's been nigh 10 years - no,
> over 10 years - since
> > I played SFB, I found it scary that I could remember the
> Fed CA and Klingon
> > D7 SSDs so vividly when I looked at the sample ones from
> the link above -
> > same number of warp boxes, shield boxes, phasers, photon
> torps, etc.
>
> They wanted to allow the use of SFB SSDs in the game and
> each ship comes in 2
> scales,

*plenty of snippage to follow*

Give them credit for learning from other's mistakes there!

> The SSDs are not the complex part of SFB...

Amen, though much of the complication isn't even the rules themselves,
as
much as trying to cover every possible combination of them.

That, and feature creep, of course. The Evil Empire(tm) didn't invent
'The
Latest and Greatest' syndrome. ;->=

> - Expansions include more fun, not complex new rules.

Ok, but you HAVE to expect us to be a little gun shy...

> I have not played FC yet...

Relax; the only way we can shed our naked fear of old SFB is with a
little
primal scream therapy. We'll look, honest.

> They are planning a big debut weekend with demo games on
> November 26-27
> so check your local store if intersted.

I've just become part owner in a local store, and with Hobbytown
corporate
also here, I'd have expected to have heard at least a squeak. However,
lots
of new board games and that new SW AT-AT just waltzed in; plenty of
diverted attention there.

I know a guy that's considering the AT-AT for conversion to orky
Mecho-Mega-Squiggoth.

Anyway, I've just started calling around; and, lest we forget, thanks
for
YOUR effort on SCN!

The_Beast