Prev: [GZG] Sounds like just the place for a GZG British convention Next: Re: [GZG] Re: First go at a campaign - some questions

[GZG] re: alternate threshold methods

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:35:22 -0500
Subject: [GZG] re: alternate threshold methods

My preference is:

1) Card based

Yes, I know what Roger is getting at, though cards could be downloadable
and printable for
ease of replacement or duplication. If you have a 'standard deck', you
can also produce a
table to simulate the same effect. But I think if you could find a way
to do a straight
card flip, it'd be faster than a damage chart cross ref.

2) Limited input chart lookup

That's my second choice. Unfortunately, if defender chooses, you never
loose firecons. If
attacker chooses, you always do. If you alternate, it just takes  a turn
longer at max.
Too many 'easy to break' points in FT ship design that I wouldn't think
this is the way to
go. So 3 and 4 sound unlikely.

==================

An interesting idea perhaps:

Cards that integrate the die roll, by means of a small notation for each
threshold row. An
example card might read:

Systems: Class 1 Weapon, Defence, Main Drive, Class 2 Weapon, FTL, Class
3 Weapon, Other
Result: 5+: No loss. 4-: Lose the system.

Thus you could integrate the die roll and the loss order for systems
into a card draw
without any need to roll dice. (Deck building becomes a challenge, but
as most programmers
will tell you, trading off a design time challenge for run time
performance is usually a
good expenditure).