Prev: [GZG] Re: [CON] GZG ECC IX - Call for Events! Next: RE: [GZG] FT Single arc plasma bolts?

Re: [GZG] FT Single arc plasma bolts?

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:03:45 +1000
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT Single arc plasma bolts?

>I'm not sure that the Plasma bolt is the right weapon though.
>
>The PBL has an enourmous blast radius that isn't evidenced in the
>Blakes 7 show. I would have thought that the plasma torpedo is the
>better weapon.
>
>Then the liberator is about a mass 100 battle cruiser and the
>federation pursuit ships are mass 30 -40 super destroyers.

But..but..they're called plasma bolts!

My thinking was that plasma bolts are not terribly fast
moving in Blakes 7 and can be dodged or avoided, which
is more like placed ordnance in FT. And the one turn
delay between shots gives players more choices to make.

You do have a good point though. If I use pulse torps,
I can make the Fed ships smaller and stick with human
technology.

I believe though that the Liberator will have to be more
super dreadnought sized. It's only in serious danger
from 3 Fed ships when the defences are almost exhausted
("Duel"). And in the battle I'm basing the scenario on,
the Liberator holds off a fraction of a 500-600 ship
alien fleet for a couple of hours, or maybe 8 FT turns.

>While the liberator isn't organic it acts more like the Savasku than
>any orther FT technology. Liberator regularly put on blinding turns
>of speed at the expense of not doing anything else or moved slowly
>about and fired at targets. It rarely did both at the same time.

My interpretation is that the Fed ships are not very
good at turning, so Liberator usually escapes just
by going fast in a direction they can't turn to match,
so doesn't need to shoot. Liberator does shoot at
high speed when attacking Space Command at the start
of season 2 ("Trial").

Thanks for the suggestions.

	cheers,
	Hugh

Prev: [GZG] Re: [CON] GZG ECC IX - Call for Events! Next: RE: [GZG] FT Single arc plasma bolts?