Prev: [GZG] OT: Re: Grenade Launchers != Gyrojets Next: Re: [GZG] [SG] Cracking Eggs with a Sledgehammer, was Power

Re: [GZG] [SG] Cracking Eggs with a Sledgehammer, was Power

From: Scott Siebold <gamers@a...>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:42:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG] Cracking Eggs with a Sledgehammer, was Power

>> The M203 (M79 grenade launcher + M16 rifle) grenade was just a
shotgun shell
>> with an attitude. The advantage is that the warhead of this weapon
could be
>> anything you'd want. An AP round with a perpetrator that goes off on
contact
>> (explosive charge goes off on contact driving a high density
perpetrator
>> round into target) should be able to go through any suit armor. If
you want
>> a rocket round (as Gyrojet) then the warhead could fire the rocket
after
>> round leaves barrel.
>
>Ever fired one? I wouldn't want that in low gravity. It will rock a
>160lb soldier.

I actually taught a class on it. Having just passed the Primary NCO
Class (PNOC) I got volunteered to give a class on the M203 and LAW
(Light Anti-Tank Weapon). At PNOC I fired 1 live LAW and five rounds
from the M203. At the class I gave, each of the students got to fire
three grenades out of the M203 and three simulator rounds out of the LAW
(and if they wouldn't have killed anyone) one live LAW. I fired the
leftover rounds but had to share them with one other instructor, the
range officer and range NCO. The kick on the M203 was noticeable but not
that bad, no kick on the LAW but the noise was bad (wore earplugs).

The advantage of firing a grenade launcher (shotgun with attitude) is
that with no or low gravity you can reduce the propellent charge and/or
ignite a rocket motor after the round has cleared the barrel. The idea
is that you have a mix of rounds to handle power armor, non-armored
vacuum suits or unfriendly BEMs. An AP or HE round may make a good door
opener from a distance and some form of combo thermal/smoke round may
block the bad guys thermal/visual sights.

Scott

Prev: [GZG] OT: Re: Grenade Launchers != Gyrojets Next: Re: [GZG] [SG] Cracking Eggs with a Sledgehammer, was Power