Prev: RE: [GZG] Of Vehicles and Nations, Part II - revision Next: RE: [GZG] maximum possible thrust

Re: [GZG] maximum possible thrust

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@m...>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:14:22 +1000
Subject: Re: [GZG] maximum possible thrust

In my FT universe there is no FTL equivalent to radio, and
communication between systems relies on Message Sloops. When
designing my "Hermes" class sloops, I quickly discovered that one
runs into interesting threshold and rounding effects with low mass/
high thrust-factor ships under the FB1/FB2 design rules.

Class Name: Hermes
Classification:Message Sloop (Popular with smugglers too?)
Displacement:2400 Tonnes [MASS Factor 24]
Hull Type:Fragile [Hull Integrity 2]
Crew:1 officer, 2 ratings [Crew Factor 1] (Civ crew level; Who'll get
a chance to do any damage control anyway?)
Armament:None
Defences:None (Speed?)
Sensor Suite:Standard sensors
Drive Systems:Main Drive Rating:16 FTL (Jump) Capable
Cargo/Passenger Space:1

By dropping the Cargo/Passenger capacity, I could take the thrust
rating up to 17, but then there was no mass left over for ANY other
system, and I think (by all means correct me!) that's the practical
limit for an FTL ship. Beyond that the minimum mass required for FTL
drive and hull integrity start to get in the way.

The cargo space can be replaced with Enhanced Sensors to make a recce
ship ("Argus" class), but if you want Superior Sensors (mass 2) then
the thrust rating has to come down to 15

Incidentally, I don't think Laserlight's "Night Music" class is
"legal" on a TMF of 19:

Hull Integrity 2 (10% TMF rounded up)
FTL Drive      2 (10% TMF rounded up)
Thrust-16     15 (80% TMF rounded down)

Adds up to 19 mass without the Enhanced Sensors. Add 1 to TMF for the
sensors, and rounding takes the mass required for the thrust rating
up to 16 so it still won't work. I think you'd need a minimum TMF of
23 to fit everything in.

To train ourselves in vector movement, we messed about with inter-
system through-the-gates "yacht racing". Assuming minimum hulls, FTL
drives and *no* extra mass systems, maximum thrust ratings for TMF
classes come out something like this:

Class? TMF Thrust Hull Boxes

Club	 3	9	   1 (Probably designed by some 22nd century
Colin Chapman...)
	  4	12	    1
	  5	13	    1
	  6	14	    1
F3	 7     15	   1
F2	 8-10  16	   1
F1	11-14  17	   1
NASCAR	15-23 <17	   2  (Lardy, and can't even support 17
thrust because rounding takes hull
				boxes up to 2, so what's the point?)
Le Mans 24     17	   2

So, I *think* 17 is the maximum possible thrust rating for an FTL-
capable ship. A non-FTL ship can go up to thrust 18, and I think
that's it. Thrust 19 would require 95% TMF, not leaving enough mass
for the minimum hull. Mind you, such massively powered ships might
not actually be very useful or fun, even on a big table. We played
around with "Catch The Smuggler." and "Bad guys drop into the system;
Can they stop the message sloop escaping to bring help?" scenarios,
but they weren't that great.

Best regards, Robert "I feel the need; The need for speed!" Bryett
rbryett@mail.com