Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: More beta ships (Ken Wang) Next: Re: [GZG] ESU Ural class Naval station : Irkutsk - 337 - WIP

Re: [GZG] [SG] Cracking Eggs with a Sledgehammer, was Power Armour with Shotguns

From: Brian B <brianbinor@g...>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 05:54:43 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG] Cracking Eggs with a Sledgehammer, was Power Armour with Shotguns

On 10/12/05, K.H.Ranitzsch <kh.ranitzsch@t-online.de> wrote:
> Brian B schrieb:
> > Point taken.
> >
> > Again, I myself still prefer the option of using manouver thrusters
on
> > the suits themselves to counteract recoil.
>
> Depending on the type of engine used in the thruster, the result may
not
> be much more comfortable for those standing behind the shooter.

I'm guessing the designers of the suits would make allowances for such
things.  Smaller thrusters set around the suit instead of one large
weapon backblast.

Besides, the more I thought last night about what Oerjan said, the
more inclined I was to disagree with him to a certain extent, to whit:

"They would still run a very serious risk of having most of their
peripherals scrubbed off their suits and any surfaces intended to be
transparent (face plates, camera lenses, lightly-armoured weapons
etc.) turned opaque by a myriad of tiny pock-marks,"

That would depend on the hardness of the materials out of which their
suits, peripherals, and transparent surfaces were made, as compared to
the hardness of the countermass being blown out the back of the weapon
-- again, something that is not completely random, but rather can be
factored in to the design of the suit and weapon.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: More beta ships (Ken Wang) Next: Re: [GZG] ESU Ural class Naval station : Irkutsk - 337 - WIP