Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Cracking Eggs with a Sledgehammer, was Power Armour with Shotguns Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Newest FT ships now available!! :-)

Re: [GZG] [SG] Cracking Eggs with a Sledgehammer, was Power

From: Scott Siebold <gamers@a...>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 15:28:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG] Cracking Eggs with a Sledgehammer, was Power

> In one Trav ship in a campaign I was, part of the defenses were that
> the grav plates on deck would cycle +6g to -6g four times a second.

That's just evil.

I hate to say this but you may not doing them as much harm as

you think you are doing.

 The equation to use is d = ViT + 1/2*AT*T (T squared)

FIRST PART OF CYCLE (1/8 of second)

T (time) = .125 second (4cycles per second means grav changes 8 times

	  per second)

Vi(velocity initial) = 0

A(acceleration) = 32ft per second per second  * 6(Gs) = 192ft per sec
per sec

d = 1/2 * 192ft per sec per sec * .125 seconds * .125 seconds

d = 1.5 ft

Vf = Vi +  A * T = 192ft per sec * .125 sec = 24 ft per sec

SECOND PART OF CYCLE (1/8 of second)

T (time) = .125 second (4cycles per second means grav changes 8 times

	  per second)

Vi(velocity initial) = 24 ft per sec

A(acceleration) = -32ft per second per second  * 6(Gs) = -192ft per
second per second

d = 24 ft per second * .125 sec + 1/2 * (-192ft per sec per sec )* .125
seconds * .125 seconds

  = 1.5 ft.

Vf  = 24 ft per sec - 24 ft per sec = 0

So they went up 3 ft in 1/4 second and then will continue to rise till
ceiling

stops them. Then over the next 3/4 to 1 second (8 to 12 ft high
ceilings)

they will be comming down at the rate of 3 ft every 1/4 second. They
will

repeat this cycle with the 6G field being felt only when pinned against
the

floor or ceiling and then for less then 1/8 of a second.

It would be more deadly to use 2G with a cycle time of 1 second. A

6G with a cycle time of 1 second would kill them but might also

turn them into a battering ram against the floor and ceiling.

Scott

P.S. I always enjoyed Newtonian physics it's Einsteinian physics that

       made me turn to computer science.