Prev: Re: [GZG] A FT question asked by 1 of our Junior players today Next: Re: [GZG] A FT question asked by 1 of our Junior players today

Re: [GZG] A FT question asked by 1 of our Junior players today

From: "John K. Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:53:38 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] A FT question asked by 1 of our Junior players today

Your points are only valid if in *your* universe ships don't have enough

power to not *require* streamlining.  If "American engineering" is
involved, you *can* fly a brick.  If a ship is designed which is not
aerodynamic, the only requirements become a) is the structure
sufficiently
strong to withstand gravitational and acceleration/deceleration forces
and
b) does it have enough raw power to land gently and safely?  Given
enough
power, my perception is that you can land ANYTHING. :)

--On Thursday, September 22, 2005 7:40 PM -0700 Sylvester Wrzesinski
<xveers@gmail.com> wrote:

> DOCAgren@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Are the designed starship able to land on planets?  Most likely in
Water

>> I know More Thrust introduced streamlining, and it was continued on
in
>> FB1, but there has not been any "designed" ships has streamlining
>> rules included.
>>
>> and a follow-up question:
>> Can Space Fighters, fly into the Atmosphere?  Or are all fighters
>> considered Areospace crafts?
>
> Streamlining is the bare requirements to survive atmospheric re-entry.
> ship with no streamlining will have the maneuvering charictaristics of
> brick, and will land once, and hard. Partial streamlining makes some
> effort to allow a ship to re-enter, but the ship still needs thrust in
> order to land safely, as it has little actual aerodynamic handling. It
> can land dead-stick, but it will need some repairs to make it fully
> functional again (excluding engine repairs), though this may differ on
> the universe being simulated. Fully streamlined ships can safely land
> dead-stick with no danger (assuming average conditions), and only need
> refuling or repair to the engines (if needed) to resume flight.

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University