Prev: Re: [GZG] Hex cloth Next: Re: [GZG] Hex cloth

Re: [GZG] Hex cloth

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:03:11 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Hex cloth

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 11:08:48PM -0700, Fred Schmidt wrote:
>Hey all.  I'm thinking about marking a black cloth with 1 1/2 inch
hexes
>(the edges made up of dots) for a giant space hexmap.	I was wondering
if
>anybody had any tips for me.  The best idea I have so far is to print
the
>hexes on a sheet of paper (done) and use a hole punch to punch holes
where
>I want the dots, then use it as a template on the cloth with some kind
of
>white or grey fabric marker.  It seems like it would be a long and
tedious
>task, though, and not to mention prone to errors (templates not fitting

>together right, resulting in warped hexes.  Hexes not in straight lines

>across the cloth, etc).
>
>Any tips?  Experiences?  Words of caution / ridicule?

Beyond what's already been said:

Make sure the cloth has been washed a few times, as you'll often get
differential shrinkage.

I think I might be inclined just to use a ruler. Each row of marks is
1:2 (i.e. one length of (hexside) mark to two lengths blank); you'd
start with one such row, then build the second one at sixty degrees to
that and use it as a positioning guide for the parallel rows...

(I should point out that I haven't done this.)

Prev: Re: [GZG] Hex cloth Next: Re: [GZG] Hex cloth