Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 31, 2005 Next: [GZG] Combat Walker-based Mercenary Unit (long)

Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 31, 2005

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 21:36:49 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 31, 2005

Claus Paludan wrote:

>>I'm trying to point out what the real balance problem with your
scenario
>>was, since
>>you were looking in the completely wrong direction.
>
>Point is - there isn't a balance problem at all...

Quoting your post-battle comments on your web page:

"We plan to play it again in reverse roles to see if it's the K guns
that
kicks too much butt or if its just lone mastodonts that can't fight for
them selves."

This explicitly states that

1) you found the scenario *unbalanced*, and
2) you are looking for an explanation to *why* it was unbalanced -
you've
even provided two potential explanations.

Whether or not you consider this imbalance to be a *problem* is
irrelevant
to me. What *is* relevant is that you obviously noticed that it
*exists*,
since you commented on it in your AAR.

*My* point is that BOTH of your suggested explanations for this
imbalance
are false: K-guns are far from the most powerful weapons in the game,
and
lone mastodonts can be *extremely* capable to fight for themselves -
provided that they are both DESIGNED to do so (which neither the Komarov

nor the Yu'Kas are) and ALLOWED to do so (which the Elizaveta wasn't,
since
she started the battle badly crippled).

On the SCN forum, you wrote:

"It was more of a test scenario to get a feel for the would be power of
a SDN."

To which I reply: How can you possibly get a feel for the power of an
SDN
if you *remove* nearly all of its power before the battle has even
started?

Don't get me wrong: I like scenario games just as much as you do.
However,
trying to draw conclusions from the outcome of such games the way you
did
in this one can be very misleading - just like it seems to have been
here...

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 31, 2005 Next: [GZG] Combat Walker-based Mercenary Unit (long)