Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 31, 2005 Next: Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 31, 2005

Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 31, 2005

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 07:02:51 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 31, 2005

Claus Paludan wrote:

>>So no, it isn't the K-guns that are too powerful. It is the scenario -
>>single ship which can't manoeuvre and has very few weapons facing
>>backwards is dead no matter what the enemy attacks her with :-/
>
>When I say powerfull I mean that when "on target" they tend to produce
>bit more damage than beams does,

They inflict more damage *per die* (obviously), but the beams fire a lot

more dice. If you compare beams and K-guns mass for mass or cost for
cost,
the K-guns only inflict more damage than beams do IF the target is
heavily
screened (which a Komarov is) or the beam dice roll exceptionally low
(which you seem to have done in your game).

>So too powerfull here only means that in the scenario the slow
>moving/turning SDN doesn't stand much of a chance

But like I said in the previous post, it isn't the *K-guns* that are
"too
powerful" for the scenario.

It is the *scenario itself* that is the problem: a single ship which can

neither manoeuvre nor point its main weapons backwards is extremely
vulnerable to any enemy with better *manoeuvrability*. It doesn't really

matter what *weapons* that enemy is using; you would've had essentially
the
same results if you had replaced all the K-guns with beam batteries or
P-torps.

>(rather what we suspected and calculated with - either it would be too
>powerful and blast the Kra'vak off the table or the other way around).
We
>didn't plan on an equal game. The interesting part with turning the
table
>is to see if beam weapons can remove 14-18 hull points per turn (as the

>K-guns did).

Unless your beam dice continues their extremely low trend, removing
14-18
hull boxes per turn shouldn't be any problem whatsoever for the beams.

14-18 hull points per turn against level-2 screens requires 30-40 beam
dice
with normal die rolls (as opposed to your unusually low ones). If you
simply replace all the K-guns on the KV ships in the scenario with the
same
Mass of 6-arc Class-1 or 3-arc Class-2 beam batteries, you get 52 beam
dice
at close range or up to 26 at medium. While you lose a bit of range, you

also get much wider fire arcs which dramatically improves your chances
for
avoiding the Elizaveta's main weapon arcs by making your movements less
predictable. (You also reduce the cost of the KV squadron by 52 pts, but

that's irrelevant in this case since this scenario isn't points-balanced

anyway.)

>But no matter what - the large ships SHOULD have escort ships to
protect
>them - no question about that :)

Large ships with more powerful - and intact! - engines and more
all-around
armaments are *much* better able to protect themselves against Kra'Vak
than
a crippled Komarov is, though...

/Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 31, 2005 Next: Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 31, 2005