Prev: Re: [GZG] vehicle ID Next: Re: [GZG] Vehicle and Unit ID

Re: [GZG] Target Identification and IFF

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:42:56 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Target Identification and IFF

> There is actually a range of issues in identification:
>
> First: Is there something there?
> Second: What is it?
> Third: Is it Friendly?

 Of course, the what is it question is secondary to the friendly/hostile

question.
 It is largely irrelevant whether the tank on the hill is a T-55,
T-62,or
T-72. It just doesn't matter, as long as it is clear it isn't an M-1 and
so
it goes "Boom" in a dramatic fashion shortly after that call is made.
Does
even a cav scout really need to know the nuances between a BTR-60P and a

BTR-80? As long as he reports "3 BTRs on the ridge, 25 dismounts, 3 AT
missle systems dug into fighting positions" he's done his job.

c) Using the double-blind system, have units fall in and out of contact
> - units that are out of contact disappear from the board to be
replaced
> by a "last known" marker which may or may not represent their actual
> location and status. When they re-appear, they will only have a
generic
> marker and need to be identified or re-contacted before they can be
used
> again.

 Good luck. That requires a lot of work--especially given
modern/near-future
RSTA technology and countermeasures against those technologies. It is a
matter of personal opinion as to where this will go in the future.
Personally, I am of the opinion that miniature wargaming as it exists is
far
more representative of the RSTA and C4I capabilities of a future force
than
would be the intensely complicated series of systems you seem to
suggest.
  John
and
again. We're looking for thousands of Persians."
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] vehicle ID Next: Re: [GZG] Vehicle and Unit ID