Prev: [GZG] [FT] Battlereport from August 17, 2005 Next: Re: [GZG] Re: How d'you like your starships,

Re: [GZG] Re: How d'you like your starships,

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:07:59 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: How d'you like your starships,

> >	Nope, not the only one.  I rather liked the NI and JPN ships
> >when they came
> >   out, but I don't care for the ESU ships having the same sort of
> >"multi level"
> >   structure as the JPN ships.  Too radical a change from the old
designs for
> >   my taste.
>

> I'm quite surprised that several people are making this comment, as
> the style of the new ESU ships was (to me at least, while I was
> designing them) a direct progression from the style of the original
> ESU 209/210/211 series, all of which had the wedge-shaped front
> section set slightly below the main hull boom..... The only one of
> the new ESU that has a MAJOR level change at the front (to the same
> sort of degree as the Japanese) is the CVH, and in this case it is
> deliberately done to get the nose section well out of the flight line
> of the launch bays. The original ESU fleet was quite a mix of widely
> differing styles (eg: the 207!), so I decided to go along with the
> general theme of those that we had defined as the "newest" in the FB1
> blurb.
>
> Jon (GZG)

   Hmm, I just went and compared the new ship pictures to the old ship
pictures
 side by side to get a better comparison.  I see what you're saying
about the
 front sections on the old ships, but for some reason the new ones just
seem
 more pronounced to me.  It may be an artifact of the angle of the
pictures.
 While comparing them, I think I saw what makes them look like the JPN
ships to
 me.  It's the rear hulls.  Almost all of the old ships had some type of
wide
 flat "wings" incorporated into the rear hull.	While there were several

 different styles, they did have the look of a competing design bureaus
working
 from a common theme, at least to me.  To me, the newest ships have lost
that
 entirely, and that's where the disconnect is for me I think.

   Now, none of this is a *bad* thing.	The newer ships are nice, and if
you
 were to put in a mention in the next fleet book about a radical new
designer
 gaining favor in the ESU or rumors of stolen designs from the Japanese
or some
 such, that would make them make more sense (to me anyways).  Of course,
that
 brings up the real point.  There are a *lot* of mini's out now that
don't have
 "official" stats.  We could really *really* use a new fleet book.  I
know that
 mini's are where the money is, but the rules and ship stats are
important to
 how I game.  I got into Full Thrust with the UN ships, partly because I
like
 how they work, but also in large part because there were stats and
rules for
 them online.  Not having to design a whole fleet in advance was a big
deal for
 me.

   Just sayin'	:-)

  grant

Prev: [GZG] [FT] Battlereport from August 17, 2005 Next: Re: [GZG] Re: How d'you like your starships,