Prev: Re: [GZG] Vehicle Recognition Next: Re: [GZG] Vehicle Recognition

Re: [GZG] Vehicle Recognition

From: "Adrian" <al.ll@t...>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:47:02 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Vehicle Recognition

> I one took a local journalist to task on this (calling the C7 a
machine
> gun). His defence
> was that the paper shoots for about a grade eight audience and saying
> 'assault rifle'
> wasn't meaningful to everyone. If he said 'machine gun' then he
> communicated by way of the
> popular common knowledge that the machine gun fires lots of bullets in

> quick succession
> (in other words, is capable of burst or fully automatic fire). I still

> maintain that's
> doing the readers a disservice and perpetuating and spreading
> misinformation, but I wasn't
> going to win that battle....

The inference from this is that the average audience is slightly thicker

than tarmac or slower than glacial progression.

I saw a news report recently were armed police were arresting somebody
(bank
robbers/terrorists/whatever) and the voice over was refering to the
PISTOL
armed police as HEAVILY ARMED S/F.  Since when are pistols heavy
weaponry.
Do they think the police were using the "Cricket" from "Men in Black".

I have come to expect this though since they seem to act more like
salesmen
(make it bigger, brighter and louder) than reporters.  Their fascination

with "famous" people is irritating too.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Vehicle Recognition Next: Re: [GZG] Vehicle Recognition