Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] New GZG starships! Next: RE: [GZG] Re: Moving on, literally

[GZG] Re: [FT] Agility, Stealth, and the Fist of Doom

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:53:27 -0400
Subject: [GZG] Re: [FT] Agility, Stealth, and the Fist of Doom

On June 3, I said:
>Another approach might be to simulate the target ship's ability to
dodge.
>Use Noam's "Stealth" mechanism at a -2 level if all fire is coming at
you
>from one arc; at -1 if all fire is coming through two arcs; and at
> normal range bands if fire is coming from 3 or more arcs.

   Just played a test game with a NSL CH against two FSE corvettes, a
frigate and a destroyer.  The rule we used was that each unused point
of turning ability could count as one level of Evasion (as Noam's
"stealth") against one arc.  We wrote movement orders like "P1+3 E2"
for a Thrust 6 ship, and after movement you could decide which arc(s)
to evade against.
  Example: CT Triton is closing on the Prinz Eugen.  Triton orders
P1+3 E2 and ends maneuver with Prinz Eugen in her FS arc at 24mu.
There's only one NSL ship in the area, so Triton applies her Evade-2
against fire coming through her FS arc (ie, from Prinz Eugen).	Prinz
Eugen could normally have hit with B2's, but due to Triton's evasive
maneuvers can only hit with B3's.
   In the test game, the small ships always used at least Evade-1; the
NSL mostly didn't Evade, since he usually was using all of his turning
ability to turn.. The result was that the small ships could get in
closer than they normally would have, which made it a more even battle
than it would normally have been.

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] New GZG starships! Next: RE: [GZG] Re: Moving on, literally