Prev: Re: [GZG] Model Planets and figs Next: Re: [GZG] Model Planets and figs

Re: [GZG] Model Planets and figs

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 07:40:54 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Model Planets and figs

Chris wrote on 08/18/2005 07:15:58 AM:

> see also http://members.quixnet.net/deboe/ft/terrain.htm

I love that stuff! Course, it's easy enough to adjust the scale if you
wish. Also, remember that loose scale allowed you to make one side of
the
table the edge of the planet, or if you prefer, the edge of atmosphere.
See
also Ren Leg stuff, especially, I think, Prefect, for interface
mechanics.

> If you want a larger planet, you can get 12-24" dia wood
> disks from a
> hardware store, or you may be able to find a glass / acrylic 42" dia
> tabletop.  Or cut a circle out of styrofoam or similar.

Could he have been referring to avoiding cutting styro when he said 'and
less messy than polystyrene'? Those are the hobby balls of which I'm
aware.
I've noticed smooth 'balls' which tend to be bead styro, and very messy
when hacked, and rough surfaced balls, which I think would be less a
problem.

The inverted-spray-cans-on-fabric, and the sputter-splatter you get, is
intriguing, but I've friends that did simple Jackson Pollack, and were
quite happy. I wasn't as pleased with the long stringy drips you get,
but I
think they just considered 'em some kind of ionized stretch nebula.
*shrug*

I think they also did some fill with toothbrush spray, but that's a LOT
of
work over 4x6 or larger cloth. My thumb is aching at the thought!

By the by, yes, I've old Geo-Hex in both hexed and hexless, and quite
like
them.

The_Beast

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [GZG] Model Planets and figs Next: Re: [GZG] Model Planets and figs