Prev: Re: [GZG] Resources Next: Re: [GZG] AUs, Gravity wells and FTL

[GZG] AUs, Gravity wells and FTL

From: David Billinghurst <davebill@c...>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 17:31:49 +1200
Subject: [GZG] AUs, Gravity wells and FTL

Hi John,

Thanks for the FTL thoughts and the gravity well figures - have filed
them
in my useful info file:)

A dumb question - I recall that an AU, or Astronomical Unit, is the
radius
of Earth orbit, eg approx 93 million miles.  Is this AU still approx 93
million miles if used as a measure in another stellar system?  I can't
recall if the measure of an AU was in some way connected to our own
solar
system, or if it was just a convenient way of handling large,
sub-interstellar, distances?

Regards

David

> From: JBrewer@webtv.net (John Brewer)
> Subject: Re: [GZG] Hello List and some ruminations on FTL
>
> In regards to jump displacement, I figure that the standard MILITARY
> jump [in non-emergency circumstances] is 6.5 lightyears or 2 parsecs.
> Jump displacement for ships with civilian-built jumpdrives is 1
parcec.

<snip of lotsa good stuff you'll just have to go archive diving for :) >

Prev: Re: [GZG] Resources Next: Re: [GZG] AUs, Gravity wells and FTL