Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Cold Navy miniatures. Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] Cold Navy miniatures.

Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 17:17:18 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

John A. wrote:

> >This is one of the most 1970s bits of the entire DS2 rules set. While

> this was true during >the 'Nam and Yom Kippur wars, it wasn't true for

> Serb AA units during the NATO bombings >of Kosovo, it isn't true
today,
> and I kinda doubt that it'll become much truer in the future. >Modern
> radars can play quite a few interesting tricks on incoming ARMs, and
all
> those >tricks definitely fall in the "ECM" category.
>
>Part of the problem is that the NATO forces in Kosovo didn't have a
>combined/joint strike capability.  Army strike assets (MLRS/ATACMS)
>would have gone a long way towards dealing with this thing because of
>faster response times-

Oh, certainly. 'Course, those army strike assets would also have been in

range of the *Serbian* army strike assets which the combined air forces
were trying to hit from higher than 15,000' altitude ;-)

It would also have added another interesting facet to this AA-vs-ARM ECM

warfare: creating *false* AA radar emissions to make the NATO forces
waste
their MLRS/ATACMS on cheap decoys (just like they expended quite a lot
of
expensive precision bombs on what turned out to be garbage containers
with
a fire lit in one end - on long-distance IR that looks very much like an
MBT).
How many rockets can NATO afford to waste before they start requiring
more
secure confirmation that the emitter is a radar rather than a decoy?

'Course, in the Kosovo case there's yet another ugly twist to this:
place
the AA radars - either real ones or decoys - close to an Albanian
village,
so the NATO forces can't use their area weapons without "committing an
atrocity" against the very people they wanted to *protect*. How many
such
disasters could the alliance take without fracturing? It was pretty
strained by the bombing of refugee columns and the Chinese embassy,
after
all...

>But at any rate, switching a radar on and off may keep it from being
>shredded by an ARM, but it doesn't do the effectiveness of your air
>defense network any favors.

Thing is, modern radars can play ECM tricks *without* shutting
themselves
down and instead use among other things their own radar emissions to
fool
the ARMs... and see my reply to Ryan for an even more interesting option
:-)

>And it will be, as always, a race between radar designers and ARM
>designers as to who can play better tricks.

Of course - but emulating that kind of capabilities race is precisely
what
FMA's core opposed die roll does best. It's merely a matter of selecting

your baseline appropriately for the setting you play in :-)

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Cold Navy miniatures. Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] Cold Navy miniatures.