Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike Next: Re: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

Re: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:45:05 +0200
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

On 8/1/05, KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de <KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de> wrote:

> With all this discussion about weaponry in DS III....
>
> Will we see the new ruleset before it is a decade out of date ?

It was written obsolete.  But hopefully we'll see it sometime before
the heat death of the universe.  I've just been doing some reading
about the future of warfare and this is on my mind.

The US Army breaks down things into a set of Battlefield Operating
Systems.  Maneuver, fire support, air defense, command and control,
intelligence, mobility and survivability, and combat service support
cover nearly everything that can be done in combat.  I've rewritten
the mobility piece of the mobility/survivability system.  While it
needs some serious work, polishing/editing and bringing it in line
with the core DS mechanics, it still works a core.  I've gone over
what rewriting the Air Defense BOS would entail.  Maneuver is what
most people think of the core of the rules, and the biggest issue I
have is the speed of the game--nothing moves as fast as you'd expect.

C2, that is the trickiest portion to emulate and I am not sure where
to begin.  Intelligence and CSS are largely out of the hands of the
local commander at the company level except as constraints on the
scenario, but more and more capabilities are pushed lower there should
be some rules to cover that.

Fire support needs some serious work and I have some ideas along those
lines which I'll probably write in a day or two.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike Next: Re: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike