Prev: Re: [GZG] Potential new weapon Next: [GZG] Re: Potential new weapon

Re: [GZG] Hello List and some ruminations on FTL

From: wscottfield@c...
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:02:46 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Hello List and some ruminations on FTL

Nyrath wrote:

>> Anyway, back to the Tuffleyverse, I'm assuming there is some finite
>> range on ship/fleet FTL movement, be it fuel or supplies.  Otherwise,

>> I'd suspect the little pocket states that are popping up would not be

>> viable.
>
> Yes, there has to be a range or other limitation on
> the FTL method, or what you mention will happen.
> There would be no "battle lines" in space, and an
> enemy fleet could jump directly and attack the enemy capital.

An "other limitation" that could be a factor is FTL speed (as opposed to
range). In other words, just because your fleet has the range to go from
A to B doesn't necessarily mean it can get there in time to defend the
system against whoever's attacking them. So even setting fuel aside, it
seems to me there are valid reasons why interstellar states would still
have to be reasonably contiguous.

Of course, a lot of that depends on the existence and nature of FTL
commo and FTL sensor technology. I can't remember off the top of my head
what the "official" Tufflyverse answer is.  Is FTL commo basically
instantaneous regardless of distance?  Is it possible/feasible to detect
an invading fleet before they drop out of FTL?

Scott

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Serenity premieres Sep 30th.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Potential new weapon Next: [GZG] Re: Potential new weapon