Prev: Re: [GZG] My tank is this big Next: Re: [GZG] My tank is this big

Re: [GZG] My tank is this big

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:58:03 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] My tank is this big

On 7/24/05, Samuel Penn <sam@glendale.org.uk> wrote:

> Yep, but see above. Actually, I forgot that it was quite that bad,
> which almost suggests getting rid of the weapons entirely, or at
> least downgrading the RFAC on the Python to RFAC/1 and sticking
> it in a turret.

Downgrade the Python to a 1 (T), and for the Adder, replace with an
extra APSW.  Size 2 APCs are just battle taxis anyway, not intended
for real fire support.	M-113s, not Bradleys.  If you want it to pack
a serious punch at some points cost, then mount a GMS/L.

> Several of the NSL got upgraded from size 4 to size 5 this morning,
> and I haven't had a chance to re-cost the points - that was probably
> one of them.
>
> Are there any advantages to the GMS?

Yes.  They can be fired at long range, on the move, and do massive
damage in relation to their capacity.  Which makes them ideal for
light vehicles.  For heavy tanks already equipped with size 4 or 5
guns, they aren't that great.  And they are expensive secondary
weapons, especially if high quality.

> Which is right? Given my reading of the rules, it's pretty much just
another type of gun (which can be shot down).

You are right--it doesn't fire over obstacles, although there are some
house rules which permit such things.  Like most modern guided
missiles, the operator has to see the target on launch to lock the
sensors onto that particular signature.

> Can't a unit of APCs drop off line and powered infantry and have each
> go off their own way? That's sort of what I was assuming. Given a unit
> of three APCs, that would give a unit of 3 line infantry, and a unit
> of three powered infantry.

That would work, although those are awfully small platoons of infantry.

> the Rebels is for large numbers of GMS/L equipped infantry (I'm
putting
> together two armies so we can actually start playing the game and
> finding out how it really works, so it'll be NSL v Rebels).

In that case there are a couple other things the NSL will need.

ADS systems to provide area defense vs. GMSs, and size two vehicles
armed with light artillery to both supress the infantry and to drop
smoke, cutting off their line of fire.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] My tank is this big Next: Re: [GZG] My tank is this big