Prev: RE: move and fire problem Next: RE: move and fire problem

RE: move and fire problem

From: "R. Bryett" <rbryett@m...>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:50:49 +1000
Subject: RE: move and fire problem

as
soon as you see an opportunity to fire you fire then continue moving".
<<<<SNIP>>>> Throughout this the enemy gets as much chance to do
something
as they do in the normal game - that is NOTHING. <<<<

This proposal seems horribly one-sided, bearing in mind that all action
in a
turn is supposed to be broadly simultaneous. Surely anything ship Alpha
can
do to Beta, Beta should be able to do to Alpha?.

I think the example offered by the original poster was a fast missile
boat
making a strike pass on a capital ship being allowed to fire at any
point
along its move. For this to be fair, the TARGET would obviously have to
be
allowed to fire at any point along ITS move too. If the hypothetical
captain
of the missile boat is, in effect, allowed to respond to the movements
of
the target to choose the ideal moment to fire, the gunnery officer on
the
target should be able to do the same.

Something like this would blur the distinction between the move and fire
phases of a turn in a manner that might be more realistic, but I think
it
would be horrible to play. Off the top of my head, with only two ships
involved, the sequence might be:

1. Divide the move of the slower ship by that of the faster, to
calculate
the Relative Move Factor (RMF).

2. Move the faster ship 1mu, move the slower (1*RMF)mu.

3. Each skipper may declare a shot in the usual way and have damage
recorded.

4. Repeat 2 & 3 until move complete.

That would be bad enough with just two ships. In a multi-ship action one
would have to allow EVERY ship to be able to fire at any point in its
move
too, and my head hurts just thinking about it.

Best regards, Robert Bryett.

Prev: RE: move and fire problem Next: RE: move and fire problem