Prev: Re: move and fire problem Next: (SFSFW) Bifrost 2005 Photos

Re: move and fire problem

From: "Adrian" <al.ll@t...>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:34:14 +0100
Subject: Re: move and fire problem

Wouldn't it be natural to assume that if the squadron commander knew how
turn his ships around and line then up in two dimensions then he could
do
something similar in the third dimension.

The nearest real life situation (though not identical since gravity is
involved) is flying.   A pilot attacking a target points his aircraft at
the
target regardless of where that target is in 3D relation to him.  He
doesn't
put himself on the same level at the target and then attack.

The problem as I see it is that if hypothetical 3d relationships are the

reason that the attacker can't fire then how come the target CAN return
fire
if the attacker is unfortunate enough to over run slightly and still be
in
weapons range of the target.

I naturally assume that even an average attacker could estimate where a
target will be in relationship to himself (especially if that target is
static) and would not only point his ship(s) at the target but would
make
sure that they were rotated on their axis so that the theoretical "top"
of
the ship where the majority of the weapons are (though this would be a
pointless design for a space ship since it doesn't have a "bottom" - I
keep
imagining the "Iowa" in space which not a concept I like much) is on the

same side as the target.