Prev: Re: White Wolf to charge game fees... Next: Re: NAC Politics

Re: White Wolf to charge game fees...

From: martin connell <mxconnell@o...>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 01:14:07 -0400
Subject: Re: White Wolf to charge game fees...

Hmmm, I'm not sure about the interpretation the quoted site makes based
on
White Wolf's statements. From the White Wolf quote:
"In brief, White Wolf is requesting that those who wish to charge
players to
play White Wolf games (beyond standard fees at a convention) obtain a
license to do so from us."

The way I would read this, is that if you charge beyond "standard fees
at a
convention", in other words "making a profit", then they want a piece of
the
action, and I can't say that I blame them. If you have a business (and a
business is about making money) in which you run, promote with their
imagery, etc., games based on White Wolf intellectual property, they
feel
they are entitled to be compensated or have you cease and desist. I
think
another direct quote from the WW statement supports this: "Yes, our
games
are meant to be played and we encourage everyone to do so - but charging
players is stepping into a commercial arena and license agreements then
come
into play."

If I were to sell a game based on some GZG rules, and had not entered
into
an agreement with Jon, a guarantee Jon would, at the very least, be
"displeased". And if the economics of GZG permits a lawyer, I'm things
sure
for me could get "unpleasant". Despite his unquestioned sainthood and
abundant altruism, Jon is not crazy. I would have stolen his
intellectual
property, for my own profit, which he has heavily invested in and has
value.

So bottom line, I don't read WW's statement as looking to get bucks from
the
Saturday night gaming group who may have expenses to cover, or from
games
run at your typical con. That WOULD be shooting themselves in the foot.
Of
course, rampant game community ill-will based on possible
misinterpretation
of WW statement/intent could have pretty much the same effect.

That's one man's opinion anyway....

YMMV
TANSTAFL

Regards,
Martin Connell

P.S. I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV. B-)