Prev: RE: Fire Control lock-on Next: Re: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions)

Re: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions)

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@y...>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:54:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions)

To be quick and reasonably polite:

the SaVasku and the Kra'Vak will be near
invincible under this suggested mechanic.

(Not to mention the needed PSB with the fact
that 'turn' thrust is now 'different' from
'acceleration' thrust.)

Bye for now,
John L.

> few days'
> to canvass some
> gzg-list-land..... this is
> in the past within
> interesting and
> group of players.
> > >
> > >Perhaps a small change in perspective: let the
> defending ship try to
> > >"break" the
> > >lock-on of a ship that is attacking it. If you
> think about it, the reason
> > that
> > >an attacking ship is unable to lock on usually
> depends on some property
> > of the
> > >defending ship. Either it has ECM, stealth,
> decoys or is performing
> > evasive
> > >manoeuvres. Also, the effect of the failed
> lock-on may depend on the
> > defence
> > >being deployed. For example, an ECM defence may
> produce a fuzzy
> > >target, whereas
> > >a decoy would produce a double target.
> > >
> > >Tony Christney
> >

> > Hmmm, an interesting way of looking at it - one
> that had crossed my
> > mind at some point, but I hadn't developed it any
> further.
> > Letting the |target" player roll does not actually
> make things any
> > different to having the firer do it, but it does
> give the target the
> > FEEL of trying to defend his ship, and that's a
> good thing.....
> >
> > So, for example (as with the ideas I posted
> yesterday), take a BB
> > with 3 FCs - the firing player announces he is
> using 1 FC to engage a
> > DD, and the other 2 against a CH - he expects the
> CH to try to break
> > lock, hence the choice to use 2 FCs on it.
> >
> > The DD is neither evading nor using
> countermeasures, so lock-on is
> > automatic.
> >
> > The CH, on the other hand, is using ECM and is
> trying to evade as
> > well; the CH owner adds up whatever values these
> give him, and must
> > roll equal or less than this total to break the
> lock; as the BB
> > player is dedicating TWO FCs to the task, the CH
> player must roll TWO
> > dice and must succeed with BOTH in order to
> prevent the BB getting a
> > firing solution.....
> >
> > I think I kind of like this.... what does everyone
> else think?
> >
> > Jon (GZG)

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com

Prev: RE: Fire Control lock-on Next: Re: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions)