Prev: Re: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions) Next: RE: Fire Control lock-on

Re: Range Band Adjustments (was RE: Fire Control lock-on)

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:15:31 -0400
Subject: Re: Range Band Adjustments (was RE: Fire Control lock-on)

Several people said variations of:
> > As well, I find changing rangebands to be mentally cumbersome...

This is one of those things where it's a lot easier to *do* it than
explain it.  It really doesn't take much in the way of mental
gymnastics (hey, *I* can do it....QED).  For Stealth -1, you lay out
the measuring tape between the ships, then you say "six, twelve,
eighteen..." as you point at 5, 10, 15....

Put a couple of cruisers on the table and try it. I'll bet half the
people who're wrinkling their brows now will be able to work it easily
within a couple of rounds of fire.  (And I'll bet further that most of
the remainder will grumble "I haven't tried it but I still don't like
it.").	I could be wrong, of course.

Why not just say "stealth 1 adds six inches to all ranges"? Well, a
lot of people feel that stealth ought to be more effective at long
range than it is close up, and the straight addition version, while
admittedly simpler, doesn't give  that effect.

Prev: Re: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions) Next: RE: Fire Control lock-on